November 22, 2014

10 Things I've Learned About Being Married

Well into a month of marriage, I'm pumping out posts like crazy. I can't help it, I suppose. Everything is so new and exciting, so different and strange... but all together wonderful. Disclaimer: my marriage experience was/is different than most in that not only did I move out, but I moved to a different state, completely changed occupation, scheduling, and lifestyle, and left my family in New Hampshire.

Whatever the case, marriage reveals things. Married people explained it to me like this- you'll realize all the bad habits of the other person, the things you always kinda took for granted are now viewed in dollar signs, and you'll get stressed out in the beginning of marriage because all you can eat is rice, dirt, and houseplants.

Well. Now that I'm into the whole marriage thing, I think I'm qualified to post up some things I've learned.




1. You learn to cook on a budget with what you have like a boss.
It's a skill you both acquire and refine. I've made some unusual things that all taste different, but are made with basically the same ingredients- sometimes, those ingredients include spelt flour and water.

2. You forget about yourself in the face of your spouse's needs.
Oh the number of times Jacob has gone out of his way to do things for me even it wasn't convenient for him. It's a big number. I hope that I do the same for him! I don't really need to spell this one out- if you're doing it, you know what it means!

3. Trips to the grocery store are better than monopoly (and induce hollering and high fives).
Say it ain't so. Being on a budget can be miserable... unless you turn being on a budget into a game. Trips to the store usually mean I'll be forced to do math (thank you, Jacob), but we both feel happy as a lark (larks? larky? larkens?) driving home when we 'win' the budget game.

4. Weekends are the best days.
I don't like saying goodbye to Jacob. I like the days when it's him and me together best of all. This equals workouts together, hanging out with his family, Psych marathons, cooking together, talking, and planning for the future.

5. Good morning, good night, goodbye, and hello kisses are the best.
Let's face it. Kisses, in general, are awesome. That's about all I have to say.

6. Home is where the heart is.
There are days I've wondered what the heck this means. I now know full well. I have cried multiple times due to being away from Beyond the Belt, because it's my home. It's where my family is. It's because I miss it so much. I also miss my normal family (teehee), and I miss Jacob when he's away at work. But when I have these things back in my life, I'm so utterly and completely full. It fills up my heart to the brim. When Jacob and I had a long distance relationship, it was much the same. it doesn't matter what your 'home' looks like, sounds like, or anything else. If your heart is there, it's your home.

7. Working out together wins over all.
No lie, no lie, no lie... one of the things that drew me to Jacob from the get go was his passion for workouts. Now that we're married, things have been a whirlwind in terms of where we live, what space we have, how warm it is, etc etc, so working out hasn't always been easy. However, having a workout buddy who is also your motivation and competition is severely helpful in not only maintaining, but increasing PR weight, scheduling, and staying on top of your game in general. It's also taught me that circumstance and situation should never define your determination to succeed.

8. Inside jokes abound.
I'd post them here, but I'd have to kill you.

9. There is nothing as rewarding as a hardworking best friend.
If only I could describe how hard and how diligently Jacob works for me each day.  I remember when we first started talking about getting married and what it would entail, the one thing Jacob told me was that he didn't want me to have to work out of necessity, no matter what that meant for him. I remember feeling a little bit shocked... I didn't think those kinds of people existed anymore! True to his word, Jacob has done so much for us. I still work small, part time jobs for Beyond the Belt, but Jacob has astounded me with how much he means well and cares.

10. Marriage brings out the creativity you didn't know you had.
Ah, the first year. Or month. Or few weeks. It causes you to realize just what it means to be 'on your own', and not in the Les Miserables sort of way (unless, of course, you truly are les miserables, in which case, condolences). Budgets, as mentioned, housing, schedules, EVERYTHING has a new light to it- and you begin to cut corners, tie bows, reimagine things, so on and so forth, in order to best make things work with what you have. Surprisingly, you find yourself patting your own back due to the miraculous wonders you behold. Who knew you could be so original?!


So there you have it. Just married? Married for a while? Not married at all? Soon to be married?

(I think I covered most everyone.)

If you have any thoughts, feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment