June 10, 2014

Wedding Planning: Truths from a Current (Biased!) Planner

So I pondered about whether or not I should make a 'I'm so smart and know what I'm talking about post' about something I've not finished doing yet.

Heck all my friends (or so it seems) just got married. They know how this works. They don't need to read this. BUT- this is a biased truth list. This is a list of truths I have discovered.

I'm feeling a little ridiculous and since I'm in the throes of this whole planning thing, I'm going to make this list and hope you all enjoy trying to figure out what I'm talking about.

So sorry. And for those of you who have been here and done this before- if you feel I'm oversimplifying, incorrectly describing, or basically looking like a fool, please comment that I'm at least a good looking fool, deal?




And in the end, I'm the one who will regret ordering 27 maroon balloons for ambiance, using chinese handcuffs as favors, walking down the isle to 'Ain't That a Kick in the Head', etc etc.

Alright. I'll be vague intentionally in some areas... I don't want to give too much away, you see ;)

So here we go:

TRUTH: Picking out a theme was incredibly fun AND shopping for stuff was an adventure worth redoing.

TRUTH: The system can be cheated.

TRUTH: Handmade bouquet? Waaaaaaay pretty.

TRUTH: Food doesn't have to be 'food', exactly. You'll see what I mean ;)

TRUTH: Personalizing things to make them 'you' is way more fun that being traditional.

TRUTH: When planning the ceremony, it doesn't have to be 45 minutes long. Or it can. But it won't be for us ;)

TRUTH: The best of the best came from yesteryear.

TRUTH: Everyone I know has done mason jars. DON'T DO MASON JARS. PLEASE. I BEG.

TRUTH: Color can be done. And in big, bright bunches.

TRUTH: Gold and silver are and always will be classy

TRUTH: MicrosoftWord and printers and font are nice to have.

TRUTH: Sequins and bangle things are always welcome.

TRUTH: I cannot play 'All of Me' or 'Thousand Years'. I cannot.

TRUTH: You don't need a year or more to be engaged so you can plan a wedding. You don't!

TRUTH: You CAN plan a wedding on a budget. And yes, it will still look good.

TRUTH: Things take some figuring out, but nothing needs to be extremely, hair plucking, bridezilla-like stressful. It just doesn't!

TRUTH: Glitter and toothpicks are time consuming, but so so so worth it.

TRUTH: I need to finish this up so I can go use said glitter and toothpicks.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the whole wedding process. However, I'm really looking forward to what comes afterwards- happily ever after. Forever!

What are some things you learned/discovered/knew while wedding planning?

2 comments:

  1. ok, so minor details switched here...like, i don't intend to walk in to ain't that a kick in the head and i'm sorry, glitter is the most diabolical stuff on planet earth. but! the system can be cheated. and it's way more fun that way, let me tell ya. you can plan a wedding on a budget. there are some things (*coughmasonjarscough*) and some songs that...well, let's just say, i like the challenge of being original. i'll also say, hey, if it's you, who cares if it's been done a million times before, do it! and no, you don't have to get crazy stressed out (i refuse to use the word 'bridezilla')...because what's the point? if, at the end of the day, you get married to your best friend, and you still have good relationships with your respective families, and God is honored...that's all you really need. the rest is icing on the cake...and quite delicious icing, too. just not worth sweating over. and speaking of cake...it's way overrated. *rant over*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is way more fun. And in the end, it's like knee socks: the only reason they become 'cool' is because everyone's wearing them, but then someone comes along in bobby socks and the cycle starts all over. So my goal is to have fun, do what makes us and our families happy, and do what (as you said) glorifies God. And cake is good when it is made entirely out of peanut butter (so basically not cake, but just peanut butter). =P

    ReplyDelete