June 16, 2014

How To Be (or not to be) A Selfish Pig

It struck me that I've not really written a dandy, good old fashioned blog post before. Something with class and utter nonsense... a touch of irony and needless information about my current standings and take on the world around me.

But I'm not here to talk about that. I'm here to post this nice picture of me and my cat:

Just kidding.

Where was I?

Today, I would like to ask you an important question. I'll skip the long paragraphs and get to the bottom line- are you a selfish pig?

I ask this politely, of course. And honestly, I feel bad for the pigs out there. Giving yourself up to become bacon doesn't sound so selfish, but I digress.

If you need lessons, let me know. But contrary to popular opinion,
I hear a lot of life (including marriage) isn't about just you.

I believe selfishness has become a prevalent theme in our culture. If you want it? Get it. If it makes YOU better? Do it. If it increases your stature in life or community? Do it and/or get it.

And then of course, there is the opposite extreme. The people who sign up for everything, volunteer for everything, and if they don't sign up for everything to help everyone, they feel guilty of being selfish or 'not giving back'.

What about life? What about waking up, going through each day, and falling asleep again at night.

Can we start here? Can we start on this page and move forward?

What if selfishness isn't about showing everyone else how NOT selfish you are, but facing each moment with not simply yourself, but someone else in mind?

As needs for help and chances for being selfless arise, take them. Keep an open heart about such things, pray that God uses you, and always, always seek to be the person that is there and willing to help others.

In relationships of all kinds, selfishness is a killer. How do you break it, defeat it, or maybe even stop it from starting? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment