January 21, 2014

Philippians, Peanut Butter, and Other Ways We Stay Sane, Pt. 1



Do we look sane? 
One of the most popular questions I've been asked follows the patterns of: "How do you stay sane living in a long distance relationship?"

I'm always tempted to say, "Do we look sane?"

But then I remember I want to have at least a few friends, so I zip it.

I'm then tempted to say, "I yell at Jacob a lot, get mad at him, stop missing him, and console myself with a large dose of happy solitude."

But then I realize that statement makes little to no sense, both in syntax, meaning, and... well. Yeah.

Maybe I should go back with the insanity theory? Ah, no.

Let's make a list, since that's what cultured people do. 

How do we stay sane?

-We work out. Yes. we're workout junkies to begin with, so maybe that's why this one works so well. It's something we're comfortable with, something that is like therapy. Plus, what's the bad part of doing a few burpees? Oh. Right. You smell sweaty. Well. Besides that.

-We make routines and schedules and STICK TO THEM. Don't just sit around and mope, or guess what? All you will have to look back on is... sitting back and moping. Get out. Sign up. Do stuff. Don't overwork or over commit, but remember to bloom where you are planted.

-Read your Bible. Or if I was hip, maybe I should say get in da wooooord man! But I'm not hip. So I repeat: read your Bible. For me, it's Psalms. Philippians. Proverbs. The gospels. But hey! I'm not God- he'll lead you to the verses you need most.

-This goes with the last one a bit, but pray. And no, don't just pray for the distance to close. Pray for the future. Pray for the other person in a mature, Christian way. Don't simply pray that you see them soon. Pray for spiritual guidance, for growth mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Pray that they honor God, pray that God takes care of them and their family.

-Peanut Butter is mine. It would be Jacob's if he could only eat it. But find something non-addictive and preferably lacking in white grain or sugar that you can eat after doing all those therapy burpees.

-Find a good support system. Be it your friends, parents, church, or all the above, find those who can help you get back up when you feel down in the dumps. Sometimes, you need a good kick in the pants. Believe me, I teach martial arts.

Long distance wasn't my choice. 

Okay. So it was. But here's the kicker! All this talk of sanity and maintaining feelings and hope across the miles and you know what? In the end, we give our best. But ultimately, it is God who carries this story.

Part 2 coming ASAP!

1 comment: